Acute pain management is the medical specialty focused on treating pain regardless of the cause. These specialists are often called on when a painful condition does not respond to pain management treatments aiming to “fix” the problem. Some practitioners focus more on pharmacologic management, and others on more interventional treatments such as injections. The doctor will try to provide maximal pain control with the least potential side effects.
Some conditions Endoscopic Discectomy treats are:
- Degenerative Disc Disease
- Herniated Disc
- Bulging Disc
- Pinched Nerve
What Does Acute Pain Management Involve?
- During the first visit with the pain management specialist, an evaluation will be performed.
- Based on those results, diagnostic tests may be ordered and/or medications or other treatments prescribed.
- Follow-up appointments will be scheduled to review results of tests and to discuss the effectiveness and any side effects of the prescribed medications.
- Referral to a specialist may be made for evaluations or treatments including injections, chiropractic care, spinal cord stimulation or a psychologist to help the patient deal with all the issues associated with chronic pain and its impact on everyday life.
- A team approach using a combination of these specialties is sometimes needed.
- Individuals react differently to medications. Several trial courses of medication may be needed to determine which one or combinations work best for each patient.
- Follow-up appointments will be made to continually monitor the patient’s condition, review and renew prescriptions, and perform blood tests and urinalysis to help identify potential harmful side effects.
My experience at this facility was honestly the most pleasant. After going through different doctors and chiropractors, Dr. Raval and his staff were able to get me back on my feet in just a few treatments. They’re very kind and easy to work with, I was able to make a last minute visit with the doctor, and the hours were convenient. As a patient, I am fully satisfied with my experience at this office.
Sofia, who is always at the front desk, is so sweet and friendly! She always makes me feel welcomed at the office. Dr. Raval is also very kind and explains everything in layman’s terms, which is super helpful. Thanks so much, guys! 🙂
Dr. Raj Raval, M.D.
- Board Certified
- Interventional Pain & Musculoskeletal Medicine Specialist
Education & training
- SUNY Downstate PMR Residency
- Rutgers University Fellowship